Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am married and I filled out papers from ss husband since

Customer Question

I am married and I filled out papers from ss for my husband since he is mentally disable. He left home no notice and called me and said he chose to travel the world and do drugs. He gave me permission to change info on his ss to pay his bills not mine. Now he went to ss in Iowa and told them he did not give me authorization what do I do. I do have witnesses
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question -- in this case, you would need to have documentation from the court system saying that your husband is incompetent and unable to handle his affairs - and you are his caretaker, guardian, power of attorney, or something similar to that. If none of those papers exist, then Social Security will automatically go by what he says -- and they will stop sending you money to pay his bills. I'm so sorry -- I wish I had better news for you. You would need to contact an estate attorney to seek legal guardianship of your spouse.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I understand stopping it but will I be prosecuted for collecting 2 months and paying his bills
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

No - you would not be penalized for receiving his check and paying his bills.