dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Me and my wife got married in mexico in 1969, we never got

Customer Question

me and my wife got married in mexico in 1969, we never got the m.license registered in n.m. where we live to this day, i just signed up for s.s. just short of my 66 birthday, was laid-off 2-26-16, birthday is ***** my wife can apply for 50% of my s.s.when she turns 66 next year 11-26-17,do we have to remarry? or will the mexico license be valid?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you do the marriage in Mexico legally---by applying for a marriage license and following the law of the state in Mexico that you were in?

2. Do you have a copy of the marriage license?

Doug