TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

What SSA benefitswill be banned on May 1, 2016. I am 63 and

Customer Question

What SSA benefitswill be banned on May 1, 2016. I am 63 and drawing SS from my deceased ex husband. We were married for 15 years.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: What do you want to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I understand that I could be elegilbe for some possible lump sum benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Our top Retirement Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Retirement Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Retirement Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

First, the file-and-suspend strategy will no longer work after May 1, 2016. At that time, a person must file for Social Security and actually receive benefits in order for a husband or wife to get a spousal benefit.

However, for those who are at least 66 or who will turn 66 by April 30, 2016, there is still an opportunity to get in under the old file-and-suspend system. Those who do squeak in under the deadline will be grandfathered in under the old file-and-suspend rules.

Second, another change will eliminate "restricted applications," a mechanism that allows persons who are between full retirement age and age 70 to file an application to claim spousal benefits but defer collecting their own benefits; upon reaching 70, they change from receiving spousal benefits to receiving their own (larger) benefits.

With the elimination of restricted applications and the introduction of deemed filing for all ages, a spouse can only receive the larger of either their spousal benefit or their own benefit. They can't change their choice either, which means no deferring benefits until age 70 and then switching options for a larger monthly check.

Last, this change affects suspended benefits, a mechanism that allows persons to file for Social Security but suspend their benefits, then at a later date request payments dating retroactive to their original filing date.

Under the new rules, Social Security beneficiaries can no longer retroactively unsuspend benefits.

There is no lumpsum benefit offered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also read that there isa way to double or receive more benefit payment. Is that true?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

If you had signed up then suspended then your spouse would get money and you could wait. That was the way to get more. Some so called financial advisors make it seem like you can get double your money but it does not and did not work where you would be getting twice the amount each month.