LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband and I recently married this past year. We live in

Customer Question

My husband and I recently married this past year. We live in Ohio. He is a retired school teacher and wants to arrange for me to collect a portion of his pension if he should pass away. If I choose to collect his pension will it affect my social security benefits when I retire. He is 65 and I am 61.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Mary,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your husband naming you as his teacher retirement pension benefit in case he predeceases you will not negatively impact your ability to collect your full social security retirement benefit. You will still be able to receive your full social security benefit s=despite the fact that you are named beneficiary of your husband's pension.

Only were you make a social security claim for a spouse benefit or a survivor benefit would your husband's pension impact on your benefits, So long as you take your own retirement benefit, you are free to also be the beneficiary of his teacher pension.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug