LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am back. My husband is 97 NS i m 91. In 2015 s social

Customer Question

Hi, I am back. My husband is 97 NS i m 91. In 2015 his social security income was
$22,978.80. Mine was $8,386.80. Were he to die first how would my social security income be computed and realized. Geraldine F. Johnson
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Geraldine,

I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If your husband were to die before you, that would make you immediately eligible for a survivor benefit, which would replace your present retirement benefit. A survivor benefit is equal in value to the same amount of benefit that your husband is receiving at the time of his death. So that would mean that your benefit would increase from what you are receiving now to $23,000 per year or more, depending on cost of living increases between now and when he passes.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug