LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My brother was receiving s own Social Security. He died. s

Customer Question

My brother was receiving his own Social Security. He died. His wife is receiving her dad's Social Security because she was disabled from birth. My brothers check was larger than his wife's. What will his wife now receive?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Roy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your brother's widow is eligible for a social security survivor benefit so long as she and your brother were married more than 9 months. And if your brother was receiving more in social security benefits than his wife was receiving for her disability, then she is immediately eligible to apply for a survivor benefit. She will need to go to the local social security office as she cannot apply to switch her benefit online.

She will need a copy of her marriage license, a copy of the death certificate and both her and your brother's social security numbers.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening Roy,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug