Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My son had s social security card stolen, he is only 17

Customer Question

My son had his social security card stolen, he is only 17 tears old. He has no credit, loans--as yet-- and no credit cards. How do we protect him in the next 5-10 years to come?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

He will want to check his credit files with the 3 majors once he turns 18; he can file a 'fraud alert' with all 3, which means they will contact him if someone seeks to take out a loan in his number/name to confirm it is him doing so. I'd also file a police report NOW,since a theft was involved. They won't likely act on it, but the filed report will be necessary likely for the fraud alert and certainly if someone DOES use his card for something or engages in Identity theft.

In the future, if he is unaware, I'd advise him to NOT keep his SS card on his person on a day to day basis. He just need to remember the number so when he needs to share it (rare), he knows it.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!