Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

What are the requirements law marriage social security

Customer Question

What are the requirements for common law marriage social security benefits
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

In what state did the common law marriage occur?

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Basically social security recognizes legal marriages recocognized in the state were it occurred. Most states do not recognize common law marriage but if you state does, social security will recognize the marriage if you meet the common law requirements for marriage in the state for the purposes of the spousal benefit and the survivor benefit. So to answer your question, your state must recognize common law marriage and if so you must meet the requirements of that state for the marriage and SS will also recognize it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?