dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

It seems like the amount I receive is very low even though I

Customer Question

It seems like the amount I receive is very low even though I had the 40 credits. I had no choice at the time. Is $488 a reasonable amount at present for someone that has been disabled since 2002.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 8 months ago.

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.

The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.

They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.

This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age. So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.

If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration.Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf

Questions?