dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I get advertisements in email about maximizing my SS

Customer Question

I get advertisements in email about maximizing my SS benefits when I apply. I have a question about this. I am 65 years old and have been on SS Disability for 20 years. This year I turn 66 and assume my disability benefits will convert to SS retirement benefits. My wife is 55 and working. Can I do anything to maximize my benefits, does my disability payments have to convert to retirement payments at age 66 and will that change the benefit I have been getting? Also I understand when my wife retires she can get my benefit amount if higher than hers, is that true?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 9 months ago.

Can I do anything to maximize my benefits,

Most likely - there is nothing you may do... But still I suggest to verify if your working record is correct on your SSA account - your benefits are calculated based on your working record.

does my disability payments have to convert to retirement payments at age 66

Yes - that is correct. While amount will be the same - benefits will NOT be disability benefits anymore - but will be your regular social security retirement benefits after you reach your FRA - full retirement age which is 66.

and will that change the benefit I have been getting?

No - you will be receiving the same amount.

Also I understand when my wife retires she can get my benefit amount if higher than hers, is that true?

Yes - that is true - your wive is entitled to receive 50% of your benefits if she will start benefits at her full retirement age.

She may receive the larger - social security benefits based on her earning record OR spousal benefits - 50% of your benefits - whatever is higher.

Questions?