LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I have been divorced years if I were to remarry to a younger

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 15 years if I were to remarry to a younger woman and died would she be able to draw on my social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon Edward,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I wanted to let you know that I am working on an answer for you right now. Please give me a few minutes to complete my answer and get it posted to you.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Hi Edward,

Yes, your new wife will be eligible to make a surveyor benefit with social security based on your work record so long as you are married for at least 9 months before your death. If you are not married for at least 9 months before you pass away, then she would not get the survivor benefit.

Her survivor benefit will be equal to 100% of the benefit that you are collection from social security as of the date of your death.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug