Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband died of an unexpected heart attack june29,2011.He

Customer Question

my husband died of an unexpected heart attack june29,2011.He was 56 yrs old and 90% of our household income.When am I eligible for spousal security retirement ? It has been quite a struggle financially since his death not to mention emotionally,have lost my home, almost everything. I am 57 and twin boys in college 22yrsold.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

I am so sorry for your loss!

OK, once you are 60, you can collect a survivor benefit of 71.5% of your husband's primary insurance amount. If you believe a survivor benefit at 100% of his amount would exceed your own future benefit amount at age 70 (if you don't collect it til 70), then you may wish to wait til your full retirement age (FRA, 66-67) to start collecting that survivor benefit - since that will get you the highest monthly income for the remainder of your life. However, if you believe your own, at age 70, will be greater than that survivor benefit option, you can consider taking the survivor benefit early, then switching to your own at age 70, when it is at its max.

Note that if you take a survivor benefit before your FRA, you will be subjected to the earnings limit, so depending on how much you earn at your job, can determine if you can even collect survivor benefit at 60 or any year up to your FRA.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!