Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My wife started collecting social security off of my

Customer Question

My wife started collecting social security off of my registering for SS when I was 65, but I delayed taking it. She is one year older than me. I am still working but when I reached 70.5 years of age was required to take start taking my social security. Can we adjust her Social Security to 50% of what I now get over what she got when I was 65? She was born in 1939 and I in 1940.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

No, the spousal benefit does not include any credits you receive after full retirement age. It is based completely on your benefit at full retirement age. So the 8% credits you earn from 65 until 70 that greatly increased tour benefit will not help her with the spousal benefit unfortunately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.