LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Applied for address change; not yet received W2 for SS, 2015

Customer Question

I need your help I applied in Sacramento, Calif for a change of address in 2013 and as of to-day I have not received my W2 for SS and Cal Pers for 2015. I did receive thw W2 for 2014. I had to return to Canada to be with my family for health reasons. I am a resident of Canada and spent time with my US husband while he was alive. I wish to pay my taxes but I can't do it without the amount owing.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

A change of address submitted to the post office generally expires after 6 months. You also MUST notify people and companies that you expect to receive mail from in the future of your new address.

As for social security, I can give you the contact information for them and you can call and they will send you a duplicate SSA-1099 so you can do your taxes. Here is a link to the numerous social security offices that service Ontario Canada: https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/ontario.htm

As for your tax forms from CalPers, you can either contact your pension plan directly for a replacement 1099 or you can access your account online through the CalPers site and review and print out a duplicate. You can view and print your statement online through my|CalPERS. See this site: https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/retirees