Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 67 and still working. I divorced after 31 years and my

Customer Question

I am 67 and still working. I divorced after 31 years and my ex died in 2009. Am I able to collect benefits from my ex husbands social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is likely, unless you remarried before age 60. You can likely collect 100% of his benefit amount, effective immediately.

If you want, if you can collect the survivor benefit (i.e. divorced widow benefit) until age 70, you can then switch to your own benefit if is higher (and it will grow 32% larger than your FRA if you haven't started to take it yet).

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!