LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 66 my wife will not be 62 until 07-15-2016 can I apply

Customer Question

I am 66 my wife will not be 62 until 07-15-2016 can I apply 4 months early and use the file and suspend?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon Douglas,

I'm Doug too, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you may file and suspend at any time after you are 66. Doing that now will allow your own benefit to continue to grow and then when your wife reaches 62, she can apply for a spouse benefit if she wants to.

Just be sure to go into social security and file and suspend before the final day to do it---April 30, 2016.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is not the question. As I am sure you know the file and suspend social security claiming strategy will be not allowed at the last of April. My wife will not be 62 until July 15. We are not allowed to file and suspend because of this. My question is can she file in advance, four months as the law allows, and still file and suspend even though she will not be 62 until July.