LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

We are both 63 and would like to see if I, wife can sign up

Customer Question

We are both 63 and would like to see if I, wife can sign up for spousal benefits. Does my husband file and suspend benefits and can I as wife still work or is there a limit to how much I make if I take spousal benefits now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good morning Susan,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No one is eligible to file and suspend their benefits unless they are at least 66 years old. And while you qualify for a spouse benefit, in order to take that benefit your husband must already be taking his own benefit. (Yes, if he were eligible to file and suspend that would work---but he is not eligible based on his age).

While you are under 66, if you take an early social security benefit you are limited in the amount of income you may earn without your benefit being effected. Let me explain:

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, social security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.

In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug