Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 67 and plan on collecting social security at 70. My

Customer Question

I am 67 and plan on collecting social security at 70. My wife claimed early social security at 62, $939.00 a month, she is now 64. My estimated benefit at 70 is $2882.00 a month. If I were to die what would her benefit be?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

OK, in the meantime. If you were to pass away, your wife would be eligible for between 701.5% and 100% of whatever you were collecting as a benefit. SO if you increase your own til age 70, she'd get a benefit based on that increased amount. The reduction would apply if she didn't wait til her own retirement age of 66+, to started collecting that survivor retirement benefit. Collecting early, like any other retirement, causes the appropriate mathematical reduction.

So if she collected at 66 and you'd waited til 70 and had your 2882/mo., she'd be eligible to get that amount (or switch to it from some other benefit she may have chosen to collect). If she collects her own or spousal earlier than FRA, it will NOT cause a reduction in a later survivor benefit - only taking the survivor benefit earlier than FRA will cause IT to be reduced.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional