Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 68 and my husband is 82. I am still working and plan to

Customer Question

I am 68 and my husband is 82. I am still working and plan to continue. Would it be appropriate for me to file and suspend before the law changes? BTD
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm ready for your response. Thank you

No, there would be no reason for you to file and suspend. That is only for when you want your spouse (or other dependent) to collect on your record AND you don't want to yet collect your own. However, what you CAN do, is file a RESTRICTED spousal application while leaving your own UNFILED for. You can get 50% of your spouse's primary insurance amount (PIA), potentially going back 6 months and until you are 70, while still working and still deferring your own so your own grows at 8% a year. Then, at age 70, you switch to your own.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!