Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I was married to my first husband years. Am I eligible to

Customer Question

I was married to my first husband for 21 years. Am I eligible to receive any of his Social Security? We are divorced.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you were married for more than 10 years before divorce and remain unmarried (or at least did not marry before age 60), you will be eligible for both survivor benefits (100% depending on your age and your spouse being deceased) and spousal benefits (50% benefits depending on your age. You can receive spousal benefits but they do not stack with your normal social security benefits, you get through higher of the two. You can begin the spousal benefits at age 62 (with the early retirement penalty).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?