Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

78 YEAR OLD MAN. I HAVE WORKED AND PAID SS SINCE I WAS 17.

Customer Question

HELLO, I AM A 78 YEAR OLD MAN. I HAVE WORKED AND PAID SS SINCE I WAS 17. DUE TO BAD FINANCIAL ADVISE MY WIFE AND NOW LIVE ON OUR SS INCOME. I BEGAN DRAWING SS AT 62. I CONTINUED WORKING UNTIL I BECAME DISABLED A YEAR AGO. MY STATE DISABILITY IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT. IS THERE ANY WAY IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE TO RECEIVE SSI BENEFITS ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Yes it is possible. You might the criteria of being over age 65 and also being diasabled. You also have to meet the limited income and resources requirement. Since you have a wife, the two of you are limited to qualified resources of $3000.

Resources, for the purposes of SSI, are things you own such as:

cash; bank accounts, stocks, U.S. savings bonds; land; vehicles; personal property; life insurance; and anything else you own that could be converted to cash and used for food or shelter. Limited Income, for the purposes of SSI includes: money you earn from work; money you receive from other sources, such as Social Security benefits, workers compensation, unemployment benefits, the Department of Veterans Affairs, friends or relatives; and free food or shelter. See link for more info on income: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-income-ussi.htm

Here is the link to apply: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-apply-ussi.htm

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from.

Just following up, do you have any further questions?