Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am now collecting SS each momth. I am also paying SS each

Customer Question

I am now collecting SS each momth. I am also paying SS each month. In 2015 I paid a totalof $744.00 to SS
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

OK, first, it it important to know that collecting SS insurance benefits, be we a child of a disabled person or deceased person, a spouse of a worker who is retired or deceased, or our own retirement benefit., is irrespective of our obligation to pay income related taxes on our income - this includes paying federal, state, local income taxes, unemployment insurance taxes, social security insurance taxes, etc. Our obligation to pay income taxes continues regardless of age, regardless of kind of work we do, and regardless even of whether we use the benefits that are paid for by our tax payments (like highways, etc.)

So, unfortunately, no, your $744 is a tax on your income that you do not directly get back. Everyone pays it - even those that will NEVER collect social security. That said, if you newer years of work earnings changes the list of your top 35 years of earnings in your lifetime, then they will change your average lifetime monthly earnings as well, making it higher. Because your benefit amount is a % of your lifetime average monthly earnings, if the latter figure increases, so does you benefit, generally. So continuing to work CAN increase your benefit, particularly if you didn't have 35 years of reported work at all. And, because you are working, the SSA will annually be recalculating your benefit to see if any new earnings changes anything.

Let me know if you need further infomration.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!