Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 73 years old. My husband passed away when I was 61. I

Customer Question

I am 73 years old. My husband passed away when I was 61. I collected partime on his social security as I was still working. I have since retired. I am still collecting on his socisl security (it was more than mine). Can I collect anything off my social security or am I limited to just colliecting on his?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Hi, you may find that your own benefit is now bigger than that reduced survivor benefit you collected - reduced for taking "early" and possibly reduced if your earnings put you out of the full dependent category.

Your own benefit may have grown if you never started to collect on it - for every year we don't collect our own, from age 62 (or 66) to age 70, it can grow by 8%. This means that if you were comparing your age 62 amount on your own record with your age 61 amount for survivor, that comparison may be way off by now, since your age 70+ amount would be about 80% bigger than your age 62 amount.

That said, the only way to find out is to go to your local SSA office and inquire. You may even want to try going to http://ssa.gov/myaccount

From there, create a passworded account and download your annual earnings statement which may tell you what you'd get on your OWN record at the various ages. You'd want to look at the age 70 amount. You can also double check that your earnings has been recording correctly.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!