Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

What is the change in SS benefits that take place on May 1,

Customer Question

What is the change in SS benefits that take place on May 1, 2016 if you do not file a request with SS before that date to be grandfathered in.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Good morning.

5/1/2016 is the date on which anyone who wishes to suspend payment of his benefits, can still do so, but that suspension, unlike now, will be a "blanket" suspension. This means that any dependents collecting on that worker's record will ALSO have their benefits suspended. Thus, if suspension is allowed for the individual AND desired, he will want to do so before 5/1/2016 to avoid the blanket nature of suspensions that will be taking place.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!