LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I have been receiving Social security last 3 years.My ssi is

Customer Question

I have been receiving Social security for the last 3 years.My ssi is aproximately 16,000 a year. I started a pension this year and recieved apprx. 6,000 dollars from this. the total combined income is less than 25,000.I plan on filing an EZ on the pension as I had withholding -do Ineed to declare my ssi as part of my income as it has no withholding.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So we are both on the same page, I believe you are referring to a social security benefit---either retirement, a spouse benefit or a survivor benefit---and not SSI (Supplemental Security Income), which is a form of welfare payment.

SSI is not taxable at all, while social security benefits are taxable. Even though your total income was less than $25,000 for the year, you still must declare your social security income as income on your tax return. It will not be taxed but must never-the-less be identified on your return.

In conclusion, yes you need to declare your social security benefits in your tax return---however they will not be taxed because your income was less than $25,000 last year.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug