Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 62 and want to file security and 'defer' (I think). My

Customer Question

I am 62 and want to file for social security and 'defer' (I think). My wife is 60 and I think I want her to apply (not sure what age) and 'suspend'.
I live in Tampa FL.
1) Should I get a attorney to help me apply?
2) Can you give me the name of a local attorney in Tampa?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

No, you don't need an attorney to file. Moreover, SS is federal, not FL law, so you wouldn't need a local attorney at all, which is good because there are not a lot of attorneys who devote their practices to SS law and as such, you will likely only find those that are not true experts in the area. That said, with regard to your post:

" I am 62 and want to file for social security and 'defer' (I think). -------- You can file if you want to collect. You can NOT defer (suspend) unless and until you are of full retirement age (66-67).

"My wife is 60 and I think I want her to apply (not sure what age) and 'suspend'. ------ She can not even file, because she must be either 62 to file for SS retirement OR, disabled and apply for Social Security Disability. Then, if she did file, she can't suspend until her full retirement age.

Basically, if either of you file at 62, you must take it and suffer that permanent 30% or so reduction due to taking all those extra 48 payments early.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!