Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

After starting social security at age 62 i continued

Customer Question

after starting social security at age 62 i continued working. i am now 76 . will my benifits increase based on 14 years past working and paying in to social security?
how do i apply for this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

You need not apply. Benefits are recalculated each year the IRS tells the SSA that you worked and how much. SSA grabs the top 35 years of income in your lifetime and gets a monthly average, from which you get a % as your monthly SS benefit. Your primary insurance amount was reduced because you opted to collect 48 additional monthly payments before you were actually old enough to be full retirement age - and those payments were derived from taking a chunk from all of your future months of benefits (25-30% reduction.)

But, if your current work is ever BIGGER than prior top 35 years (such as those when you were very young perhaps, and not earning much), the current year(s) will boot off those earnings figures from the top 35 years, creating a new base from which to calculate your average lifetime monthly earnings. That is how you can grow your benefit amount - which is not easy if you were already a strong earner, but easier if you had a lot of zeros in the top 35 (like if you were a stay at home person who didn't work much outside the home), because each new year of earnings can have a more substantial effect on that average.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!