Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I KEEP READING THERE ARE ADDITIONAL BENEFITS DUE ME AND i

Customer Question

I KEEP READING THERE ARE ADDITIONAL BENEFITS DUE ME AND i NEED TO COLLECT BEFORE MAY WHEN LEGISLATION AND LAWS CHANGE. WHAT IS THIS
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question. MY name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today. Basically, the only thing that is changing are some filing methods that were previously available and used by married individual (and disproportionately wealthier married couples since it's financial advisors who would point this out) are going away as of May1. This is the "file and suspend" method where one spouse files, then suspended their application while the other spouse draws a spouse benefit and both allow their own benefit to grow. Another that is going away is the ability to choose to take the lower spouse benefit at retirement, and get your own later. The third thing going away is the "Deemed filing date" -- where you would apply, then suspend -- thus getting an application date in the system. IF you needed money later on you could request a lump sum back to the date that you filed. If you did not do that, then your benefit was higher when you started to draw.

Other than this -- if you are already drawing, nothing else changes -- and there's nothing additional available that won't be available after the law is enacted.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.