TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

We adopted my son at birth. s birth mother's name was on the

Customer Question

We adopted my son at birth. His birth mother's name was on the original birth certificate; however, she used the name we chose for him (including our last name) for his name on the birth certificate. We received a SS card shortly after his birth with his name and an SSN on it. Recently the adoption was completed and a new birth certificate was issued with my wife and me now listed as the parents (his name did not change). Do we have to apply for a new SSN for him or otherwise refile his birth certificate with SS, or are we ok to use the original SSN issued to him since his name did not change on the new birth certificate?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

Hello

It appears you will need to have his record updated to show your names as parents.

As his name did not change it is unlikely they will need to issue a new number but rather correct the information on his file only. For tax and filing, his SSN should be valid as the IRS checks number against card name and date of birth. None of that has changed.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Checking to see if you read or responded