emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I took early social security payments. How and what can I do

Customer Question

I took early social security payments. How and what can I do to change these payments to maximum payments each month
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you took your social security at 62 you permanently reduced all your benefits (your own or spousal) for the rest of your life. The only way to correct it is to repay all your benefits you received and re-apply at latter age. But you will have to do it withing 12 after you received your first check.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today? And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.