LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a retired teacher in Maine. I receive a pension from

Customer Question

I am a retired teacher in Maine. I receive a pension from MRT, I also receive s.s from a time before I became a teacher. When my husband dies, if it is before me, will I loss his social?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon Charlotte,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

When your husband dies, the present monthly social security payment to him will cease. You will be eligible at that time to apply for a survivor benefit which will be equal to the amount he is receiving on the date of his passing, (and which would replace the retirement benefit you are receiving from social security at the present), but again your private pension will have an effect on your survivor benefit just as it does on your social security retirement benefit you presently receive.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug