BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
36384704

I have been working since March 2014 .. I knew I had 8

Customer Question

I have been working since March 2014 .. I knew I had 8 months.. Been paying SS out of every check.. When they didn't shut it off after 10 months I called and said stop.. They said it wasn't that easy so I went to my local office and said shut it off.. I then handed pay stubs.. They called and I received paperwork from Baltimore.. Filled it out but they keep on direct depositing my check.. I don't want to be in trouble.. Am I .. They say I'll just have to pay it back but it's getting ridiculous.. Should I cancel the account that it's being put in.. Please ease my mind
Category: Social Security
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I assume you are on social security disability but have returned to work.

You will get a trial work period that is for nine months. After that, they will generally pay you for two additional months before you are no longer entitled to benefits. This is regardless of what you make.

If you are reporting your earnings each month as required, then you really shouldn't run into any trouble. I suggest calling them once you have passed your 9 month mark and again at the 11 month mark because they can cancel your payment going forward so you don't owe anything back.

I say this because I just went through this process with a family member. We successfully received all payments we were entitled to, had to pay nothing back, and all went well.

Best of luck!

Expert:  BK-CPA replied 9 months ago.

... I see you are past 11 months. Yes, all you can do is keep telling them what you've made and that you don't think you are entitled to benefits. What a mess, I know. I suggest saving the money they are overpaying you and documenting the fact that you are sending them your earnings.