Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

If you turn 65 in september and want to retire how soon

Customer Question

if you turn 65 in september and want to retire how soon should i apply
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

At this point full retirement age is age 66 if you do not want to receive an early retirement penalty. According to Social Security, "You should apply for benefits no more than four months before the date you want your benefits to start." So if you want to apply for September you should probrably start the process in May or June.

You can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

If you do not wish to use the online application, or the application for the benefit you want is not available online, you can:

• Call us at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****); or
  • Visit your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/apply-for-benefits.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in,do you have any further questions?