LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Why did my social security payment not get deposited?

Customer Question

I applied for social security earlier this year and received a letter from Social Security that my benefits would be deposited into my checking account on the third Wednesday of February, which is today. They were not deposited!!! Who do I call about this
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

While it is rare for a person’s automatic deposit not to be deposited on the day that it is scheduled, it does occasionally happen.

As today is the third Wednesday of the month, it is possible that your bank simply has not credited it to your account yet, and of course you will want to check with them and see if bank computers show it as a pending deposit.

If it is not at least pending---to be credited this evening, because you receive your benefit through automatic deposit, there is something else you can do.

As you normally receive your benefit payment by direct deposit, you may report a non-receipt of payment immediately by calling 1 - 800 - 772 - 1213 (TTY 1 - 800 - 325 - 0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Social Security will check their records and get the situation straightened out for you.