Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have been receiving Social Security 15 months. My

Customer Question

I have been receiving Social Security for about 15 months. My employment status has changed and I would like to suspend social security at this time but retain medicare. I turn 67 in May, 2016.
Thanks.
Gary
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Terrific! Gary, do you have a spouse or kids also collecting SS under your record?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. My spouse is 57 and still working. Kids are all grown and on their own.

OK, YES, you can suspend your benefits because you are over your full retirement age. You can do so til age 70 or earlier, and your benefit will grow by 8% per year. Medicare can remain.

According to the SSA you can request this verbally or in writing. I suggest not foregoing the In Writing, because you can send it certfied mail, r.r.r., and have proof you did so. That said, you can go in person as well to get it done.

You will need to start paying Medicare out of pocket, since you can't have deductions from SS if you are in suspension, so contact your carrier about that.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much. Is there some way to do this on line? A specific form to be mailed? Where do I send the request? What does it take to reinstate benefits? Do I have to, or have the option of paying back benefits already received? Does my benefit continue to grow at 8% per year when I am not receiving it? When must I take benefits?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Can this be done on line? Is there a specific form to mail? To what address should I send it? What are the procedures to reinstate benefits. Do I have the option, or the requirement, of paying back the benefits already received. Do my unused benefits grow at 8% per annum? When must I take benefits?

You need to discuss with your carrier, as the bill should be going from them to you and carriers can vary.

To reinstate benefits you will contact your SSA and tell them so. Should you become 70, they should automatically start paying, since there is no point to suspension after that.

No, you do not have the option of "withdrawal of application" and paying back.

Yes, you should grow your benefit at 8% a year for each year you suspend.

There is no required time to take benefits, except when you hit 70, there is no point not to.

I am adding an option for you for "additional services", should you have any additional questions in the SS area.

Have a wonderful day, Gary.

Stephanie Joy

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!