Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

If you have not filed with the irs years due to spotty

Customer Question

if you have not filed with the irs for many years due to spotty employment and you file for ss or ssi are you in danger from the irs.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Generally, the IRS reports your tax returns to the SSA so they can increase or establish that you have an eligibility (now or eventually) to some retirement or disability benefits).

Of course, if you file for and receive SS benefits, you will want to file tax returns on that income IF it is taxable, because there will be 1099s each year showing what the SSA paid you, and the IRS will want its taxes IF you have to pay taxes.

I will add that if you had employer reported work (W2s or 1099s) over the years and didn't file returns when you should have, the IRS typically has that information already. It will pounce when it wants to. So I wouldn'r refrain from filing for my SS due me due to the IRS.

That said, NOT filing for work done and or SS taxes paid via employer withholdings can be damaging to yourself, since your retirement benefit often shrinks for every year you didn't have decent earnings that can help it grow.