LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am just now getting my first social security check. My

Customer Question

I am just now getting my first social security check. My question is I was getting a check off my wife social security do I have to return that check now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you receive both the spouse benefit payment and your own retirement benefit payment in the same month?

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Hi.

Thanks for the additional information.

You are only entitled to one benefit at a time, and if you received both a spouse benefit and your own benefit in the same month, you will be required to return the smaller benefit to social security. You will not be allowed to keep both.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug