Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 66 year old person currently continuing to work and I

Customer Question

I am 66 year old person currently continuing to work and I am drawing my social security. Working is getting much harder with some physical problems that are popping up. Could I quit working and go on disability social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

NO, unfortunately SSD ends when we hit our full retirement age. Moreover, it is equal to our full retirement age amount, so you'd gain nothing.

It looks like if you have to continue to collecting your SSR, you will be unable to increase its amount via DRCs (delayed retirement credits), and if you have to stop working, it may be more likely that you can not afford to defer (suspend) your benefits til a later age up to 70, to gain that increase.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!