Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

If my child was born with Down Syndrome does she qualify

Customer Question

If my child was born with Down Syndrome does she qualify for benifits
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

In order for a minor to qualify for disability, she must be "poor" enough. There is no social security for children's disabilities, since she has no work record, but there is SSI (Supplemental Security Income) if she and her parents are of low enough income and countable resources to qualify.

If you think that is likely, I urge you to apply her asap, because there is no retroactive payments made prior to date of application - so applying quickly is important.

In the event you wish to discuss this further by phone, I will ask that an additional services button be provided you, completely at your extra option.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!