Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

In May 2016, will my ssi be cut off since i am a home owner?

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What does the new law say?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The new law (HR 1314) does not effect SSI (Social Security Supplemental income). It only closes several loopholes regarding the spousal benefit which include the "file and suspend" and the "restricted filing". Owning your home continues to be excluded from the resources that count for the eligibility of SSI. This change does not effect you regarding home ownership.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.