Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm single, 64 and will turn 65 in June. I work state of

Customer Question

I'm single, 64 and will turn 65 in June. I work for the state of Florida and plan to continue working at least until March 2017 (when I will be vested for 6 years- minimal retirement). I will have very little to live on! I will continue working as long as possible. I heard there are some opportunities in social security (to maximize my benefits) that will disappear on May 1st? Please be specific-
What should I do and when???
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

First question: In your State job, do you pay SS taxes? (FICA)? And have you paid SS taxes in all of your working years? At least 30 years?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid in for the 30 years and estimate about 1200- 1400 a month from SS when I start to receive benefits that's why I need to do this right and maximize my benefits (and take advantage of ANY income through SS that will disappear on May 1st. Thanks so much for your help!!!

OK, just to be blear, there are no new opportunities for different benefits, there is only the elimination of a certain aspect of a SPOUSAL benefit (not applicable to you since you are single) and there is an elimination of the ability to have a restricted suspension right (it will become a blanket suspension. More specificallky, here is what will disappear on 5/1:

On and after that date, if you FILE for benefits, and then SUSPEND them so that your benefits can GROW to age 70 (or 66-70) you will be suspending any dependent benefits being paid on that record. That would mean that any spouse benefits going to your spouse (which doesn't apply to you) will be gone via that blanket suspension. The trouble is, suspensions in general are not permitted before we are of full retirement age. So you can not suspend at all, if you were planning to.

Also, there is a change to the spousal benefit law - if effects ONLY those that haven't turned 62 before end of 2015. So, should you get married, once you hit your FRA, you COULD collect a "restricted" spousal benefit at your FRA, while letting your own benefit grow to age 70 (thereby increasing its amount by 32% over your primary insurance amount.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!