Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am a legal Canadian resident living in the USA since

Customer Question

I am a legal Canadian resident living in the USA since 1985,employed till 2005 when I retired. I worked in Canada for 27 years and paid into the pension plan there until 1985.
when I retired here the SS cut me back on my USA pension because of the Windfall Elimination clause. What they don't take into consideration is the fluctuation in the currency changes . For ten years I have tried to live on my USA social security alone at $760 per month. Now I find it impossible to exist on that alone. The Canadian dollar has devalued to sixty one cents. HELP, where do I go to get help ? Brian.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but social security benefits are not changed as a result of foreign currency fluctuations. I know it makes it difficult in your situation, but there is absolutely nothing that can be done.

I wish I had better news for you. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.