Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am 74 and receive $1876 SS monthly. Spouse is 71 and

Customer Question

I am 74 and receive $1876 SS monthly. Spouse is 71 and receives $1070 SS monthly on her own work record.
If I die,Can she receive my $1876 instead of her $1070?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Yes, she would receive the higher of your benefit and her retirement benefit (they do not stack). At that time of your death, your spouse can apply for SS survivor benefits and being age 71, she would receive 100% of your SS benefit ($1876). She can also apply for a one time payment of $255 at the same time. See link to for more info from the SSA website: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou7.html So to answer your question, yes she can receive your benefit if it is higher than her own.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?