Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I get social security benefits from my ex-husband I was

Customer Question

I get social security benefits from my ex-husband I was married to for 12yrs. It is a small amount. Could I get an increase on this amount? I need to know more on the cost of your services.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

No, you lock your amount in when you elect to take the benefit. If you restricted your benefit at age 66 to only take the ex spousal benefit then you might be able to take your benefit if you are eligible. If you are not eligible for the benefit then there is nothing you can do to make it larger. The benefit is normally 50% at full retirement age and if you took it as soon as you could at age 62, it would have been only 32.5% of your exes benefit. So to answer your question, no there is nothing you can do to increase the spousal benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?