Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

NEED ADDED INCOME.CAN I COLLECT ON MY EX-SPOUSE SS EVEN IF

Customer Question

NEED ADDED INCOME.CAN I COLLECT ON MY EX-SPOUSE SS EVEN IF HE MAY NOT BE COLLECTING YET
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The answer is no unless your spouse is at full retirement age (66 in 2016) and you have been divorced for at least 2 years. In order to qualify to take the benefit you must have been married for at least 10 years and you did not remarry before age 60. You also must be at least 62 (it would be reduced by the early retirement penalty to 32.5% of the benefit at age 62). At full retirment age you would receive 50% of the benefit of you ex (which is the max). Normally one has to elect to take their retirment benefit before their spouse or ex spouse can receive their benefit (except for the exception I already mentioned).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?