PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

Form SSA-1099 shows voluntary Federal Income Tax withheld.

Customer Question

Form SSA-1099 shows voluntary Federal Income Tax withheld. How do I report this on form 1099? The electronic filing does not accept a SSA-1099. I'm confused.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

I suspect you were trying to report the SSA-1099 with other 1099 forms, perhaps 1099-int or 1099-div. It doesn't work that way.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

line 64 of 1040 is for the total income tax withholding. Most tax software will ask you to enter the SSA-1099 on a page for social security benefits, with a line to enter the federal income tax withholding. Our office software opens line 20, which then opens a form asking for total line 5 for the amount of your benefit, and line 6 for the withholding. The software then reports those figures on the completed 1040.

I would try to enter the information on line 20 of your 1040. i bet that will work.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.