dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My name is ***** *****. I have a 4029 exemption question.

Customer Question

Hi, My name is ***** *****. I have a 4029 exemption question.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yep, one moment. If I want to file for 4029 exemption because I'm Amish, what happens to my prior years of earning where I paid into SS and Medicare?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For instance, if I paid ss for 35 years and filed 4029 in 2002. I applied for benefits, received them for a month and then they were suspended and I'm told it's b/c I don't qualify for any benefits now. Is this true?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

Members of certain religious groups (including the Amish and Mennonites) may be exempt from paying Social Security taxes. To become exempt, they must:

• Waive their rights to all benefits under the Social Security Act, including hospital insurance benefits;

To request an exemption from Social Security taxes, get Form 4029—Application for Exemption From Social Security and Medicare Taxes and Waiver of Benefits from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Then, file the form with the Social Security Administration (address is on the form).

IRS will either approve or disapprove the application after Social Security determines whether the applicant’s religious sect meets the requirements for exemption.

Let me know if that answered your question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This doesn't answer my question.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

Please ask for clarification.
What exactly do you expect after filing form 4029?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does it wipe out the earnings period prior to my exemption?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

It does not "wipe out" - your earning record is still listed with the SSA on your account.
But by filing form 4029 and assuming it is approved - you are waiving your rights to all benefits - I specifically highlighted that clause above - so if you are thinking to continue benefits - that would not be correct expectations.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This was not helpful. I already knew all this.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry that the answer doesn't meet your expectations.

Let me know if I may be any further help?
It might be possible to revoke your 4029 election - but it would not be a simple procedure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No thank you.