LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My husband Oswald ***** S.S.#079-28-7906 is 81 years old and

Customer Question

My husband Oswald ***** S.S.#***-**-**** is 81 years old and collects s.s. I am his wife 71 years old S.S. ####-##-#### ***** I also collect S.S. Can my husband collect on my S.S. plus draw on his own. Thank You Jeryce ******
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Jeryce,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, each person may only collect one social security benefit at a time. It is not possible for your husband to collect his own retirement benefit and a spouse benefit at the same time.

However, if your benefit pays more than his benefit does, by at least 200%, then he can make a spouse claim and receive a benefit of up to 50% of the same amount that you receive. But this only applies if your benefit is at least twice as large as his benefit is.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug