LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

, I am 62+ and not collecting yet. My ex wife recently

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am 62+ and not collecting yet. My ex wife recently passed and was collecting SSDI and would be 60 now.. I was told by Social security that I could collect on her acount now and then wait until I turned 66 or 70 to collect a higher amount on my work history.I am getting conflicting information that I would have to wait until she turned 62 o collect ex spousal/survivor benefits.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are eligible to apply for a survivor benefit as soon as you reach 60 years of age. And that changes to 50 years of age if you are disabled.

And yes, you can take the survivor benefit at 60 and allow your own retirement benefit to continue to increase in value to age 66 or even age 70.

You are 62 and you may begin collecting your survivor benefit right now.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug