Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can a nonimmigrant family from Egypt with A1/A2 visas apply

Customer Question

Can a nonimmigrant family from Egypt with A1/A2 visas apply for a social security cards?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not certain whether the A1/A2 6 month visas (tourist & business) were issued as nonimmigrant or immigrant. I'm assuming this family is interested in becoming US citizens? They're only been in the US for 2 months. The husband is working.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
at a gas station/convenient store down the street from where I live. I struck up a conversation with him about where he was from (noticing an accent). He told me Egypt. He asked if I knew how he could apply for a social security card. I told him I would try to help him find out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did some research at the US Department of State / US Visas government website in an effort to find out more information about A1/A2 visas. The only thing I learned is that this type of visa is renewable. Beyond that, I could find no information about applying for social security cards... so that's why I'm asking you for help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The family consists of a husband, wife, 1 son and 1 daughter (ages 17 and 14 respectively). The adults are in their early 40's and reside in Richardson, Texas. He has a brother who also lives here, but I don't know his status (on visa, or a US citizen).
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. They would need to get with an immigration attorney and get a work authorization before they can get social security cards. If they need a number for tax purposes they can get an ITIN.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Megan! Thanks for your answer. If I understand you correctly, he needs to apply for a "work authorization"? Is that not already covered (if you know) under the A1/A2 "Tourist and Business" visa? I'm assuming the "Business" designation indicates the individual is allowed to work in the USA while here on their visa? I don't know anything about visas and applying for US citizenship so this is all new to me. Just trying to help him and his family. I need to understand the role of an "Immigration Attorney" in order to explain this information to him. Does an Immigration Attorney possess work authorization forms that must be processed/documented by their law firm before US Immigration will approve/accept this individual to work while in the US? What is an ITIN number? And is that a pre-requisite to applying for and being approved for a Social Security card? Thanks if you can provide more detail. You've been a tremendous help already!!!
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your follow up. A "Tourist and Business Visa" is for people who are coming here for tourism or for business -- example, someone who is coming here from another country to a company for a meeting. It is not an employment authorization. They will need to work through immigration to get a work-authorized status. They cannot simply get a social security card.